Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Same Six Questions - Caddy Rowland

Happy New Year! Welcome to 2012 and all that it has to offer! Today's guest on The Same Six Questions is Caddy Rowland. Welcome!

Thanks, Andy! I am a writer from Minnesota who is married to her high school sweetheart. I would love to live somewhere much warmer, but my husband is Minnesotan through and through. I kinda like him, so here we are. We are owned by two parrots, who do talk.

For fun, I love to read, write, paint, hike, walk, enjoy nature (but NOT camping), play Texas Hold 'Em, movies, and just kick back with friends.

When I lost my job in February of 2011 it gave me the opportunity to try to make a go at truly becoming an "indie". I have to tell you, the book formatting was a challenge for me. I don't think with that side of my brain at all.

I have always been a nonconformist and into art. Many times I feel that I have landed on the wrong planet, but I do have a lot of great friends who put up with me, even though I can be quite bizarre. Even a few family members put up with me!


The Same Six Questions

1. Have you published a book yet?

Yes, I published my first novel on August 1, 2011. Gastien Part 1; The Cost of the Dream (Kindle, Nook, and paperback) is a drama/romance that takes place in France during the late nineteenth century. It will be a series of at least four novels. This series is not a “typical” romance and is enjoyed by men as well as women.

Gastien Part 1: The Cost of the Dream is about Gastien's coming of age, his horrible struggles to become an artist after leaving an abusive home, and learning to become the greatest lover in France. That was not hard to do. For the most part, men did not care if women enjoyed sex during that time period. Gastien wanted to make sure they did.

I released the second book in the series, Gastien Part 2: From Dream to Destiny on December 13th 2011 (Kindle, Nook, and paperback).

Gastien Part 2: From Dream to Destiny takes off where Part 1 left off. It has the “big” romance in it. However, be forewarned that Gastien was a true nonconformist. He stayed true to that and this romance reflects that. It is not at all a typical romance, but Gastien finds himself loved in spite of his terms.

Part 3 of the Gastien series will come out in the spring of 2012.


2. When did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I had always wanted to write fiction, ever since I was in grade school. I had a stack of books that reached almost to the ceiling before I started kindergarten! Books have always been my best friends.

Through the years, I started and quit several stories. Life just seemed too busy! Then, I got breast cancer about 1 1/2 years ago. I am now fine, they caught it very early...but it really brought home the fact that if something is important to you then don't wait until "later" to do it.

So, in November of 2010 I promised I would write for at least an hour a day, five days a week, no matter what. That opened the whole world of writing for me, one that I always wanted to be a part of, but had never been disciplined enough to join.

3. What was your first lengthy piece of fiction? What was it about? When did you write it? Do you still have it?

It was a book for children, titled One Little Snowflake. I am a painter, so I also did all of the illustrations for it. Although it is not a lengthy book, the time put into it was lengthy because of all of the paintings.

It is about the circle of life, and it is meant for children with terminal illness, although adults with terminal illness would benefit from it, too. Spring is coming, and the little snowflake is melting. He is scared and does not understand why winter has to end. An icicle helps him understand how we pass on the gift of life over and over through dying.

I wrote it about twelve years ago. I just gave up on it, and I don't know why! I am waiting to hear from a publishing company about it right now. Someday, I may self publish it, if it does not get picked up somewhere else.

Right now, though, I have all of the Gastien Series in my head, and a couple other adult fiction novels that I started and stopped, waiting to be finished.

4. When was your first indication, "I can do this (write)"?

In junior high, I wrote a lot of poetry. I always felt I could write, but...you know...fear...self doubt...

I did some past life regressions in August 2010 and that opened up creative doors for me. I was filled with an urgent need to tell this story. When I sat down in November of 2010 and the words just came faster than my hands could type, I knew I was supposed to write.

5. If you could meet one of your characters in real life, which would it be?

Gastien. I would love his talent for painting! I can paint, but that man COULD PAINT! He was one in a million, one of those who could see things in a way others had never thought of yet.

Life was cruel to him in many ways. I would love to let him know how valuable, how wonderful he was. Not just for his looks and painting. He was worthwhile just as a human being. Not many communicated that to him.

Still, he was very good looking. He would be lovely to look at daily. My husband would possibly feel different about having young Gastien around, though.

6. It's a dark and stormy night...you're alone in the house...there's a knock at the door...you open it, look out, and proceed to scream like a little girl. What's on the doorstep?

Dead parrots. Since we have two parrots, I used to have a fear that someone would break in and do something violent to them. About that time, I quit reading horror novels, at least for the most part.

__________________________________

Yikes! Thanks for sharing with us today, Caddy! You can keep up with Caddy on Facebook, Twitter, and her blog.

Remember, new indie authors every Monday and Thursday! See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment