Monday, September 26, 2011

The Same Six Questions - Sue Santore

Welcome to The Same Six Questions! If this is your fist visit, be sure to check out some of past visitors in the archive. If you're a returning guest, then let me introduce you to young adult fantasy author Sue Santore!

Thanks, Andy! I live in the great state of Maine with my husband of 37 years. I have been a factory worker, a waitress, a librarian, and a teacher. My biggest job was being a mother and I have three grown children. Now I am a grandmother, and I am enjoying that role immensely. I have many interests, including quilting and playing the mountain dulcimer, but writing is the most satisfying of all.

The Same Six Questions

1. Have you published a book yet?

Yes. A Singular Gift, a young adult fantasy book (with magic, not elves and fairies) by Sue Santore is available for Kindle on Amazon. This is a stand-alone novel, but I am working on a related sequel which should be finished before the end of 2011.
Jean Ryan must learn to use her inherited magic gift before the opposing dark magic forces destroy her world. Jean and Wayne, her friend, work together to discover why her gift has attracted the attention of an evil circle of magic users and how to combat them.

As she learns to use her magic, Jean finds revenge bites backwards, friends are not always what they seem, and that magic is not a toy. In the end she has to stand alone against an evil worse than any she has ever imagined.

2. When did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I’ve always written! Or so it seems. I have poems and short stories that I wrote while still in school, years and years ago. I began writing novels over twenty years ago.

3. What was your first lengthy piece of fiction

My first novel was a contemporary romance sold and published over twenty years ago. Unfortunately, my editor left and the next editor was not satisfied with my next book or next five proposals. After that I was so discouraged that I gave up on writing for many years. I have requested the rights to that book back and intend to publish it with Amazon when I have the rights returned to me.

4. When was your first indication, "I can do this (write)"?

A Singular Gift was started years ago and put aside. After a few months into retirement, I had the urge to write again. I pulled out the first three chapters that I had saved. I made myself a promise that I would finish it, then go on to continue writing more stories.

5. If you could meet one of your characters in real life, which would it be?

Since I like all my good-guy characters, I don’t know which one I’d like to meet, but I’d like to have been Jean when I was her age. Wouldn’t it be fabulous to have a gift of magic handed to you?

6. It's a dark and stormy night...you're alone in the house...there's a knock at the door...you open it, look out, and proceed to scream like a little girl. What's on the doorstep?

A tiny baby is nestled in an old blanket. I can hear its sobs as it flails its little hands about. I bend over to pick up the child and an envelope falls out of the blanket at my feet. I snatch up the envelope and gaze out into the night. Is that a dark figure I see, running toward the trees? I call out, but no one answers. I take the baby inside and shut the door. I put the child on my shoulder and pat it, whispering soothing sounds. With a trembling hand, I open the envelope.

__________________________________

Thanks for stopping by to share with us, Sue! For more of Sue and her writing, be sure to stop by her blog and give her a follow on Twitter.

Thursday's guest will be author Annette Lyon. Stop on by!

No comments:

Post a Comment