Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Same Six Questions - Jennifer Chase

Can you believe it's almost October?! Aigh! Welcome to the last The Same Six Questions interview of September! Today's guest is Jennifer Chase. Welcome Jennifer!

Hello Andy! I write crime fiction and thrillers. I have degrees in police forensics and criminology. When I’m not writing, you can usually find me loitering around the beach areas of California with my big black Labrador “Sarge” and my trusty digital camera. I love hiking, taking photographs of nature, reading all genres (getting into zombie books lately), eating ice cream and watching cop movies.

The Same Six Questions

1. Have you published a book yet?

Yes! It’s very exciting.

Dead Game – An Emily Stone Novel

In this Video Game, ‘Game Over’ Means You’re Dead

In her independent efforts to catch child killers, Emily Stone discovers the evidence that the cops can’t—or won’t—uncover. Now, this covert investigator is back on the hunt for the world’s most sick and twisted murderers. But even with help from ex-police detective Rick Lopez, this time she’s facing her most dangerous opponent yet.

The headlines in the San Jose Mercury News blare updates on a serial killer who seems able to slaughter with impunity. Men, women—it doesn’t matter; the victims serve only to satisfy a perverted need to kill. The killer watches the moment of death on multiple computer screens, over and over again. The only connection is that they’re all devotees of the latest video-game craze—a sophisticated brain-puzzler called EagleEye.

When the killer goes after Lopez’s law-enforcement mentor, Lopez and Stone decide to give the cops a little extra, unsolicited help. What follows takes them deep inside a shocking high-tech world, a kind of social-networking community for serial killers. But when they start getting too close to the truth, all hell’s going to break loose.

Now, Stone and Lopez become the killer’s next target as Stone must make a difficult decision to leave the ones she loves in an all-or-nothing effort for survival. Can they stay alive long enough to blow the whistle on this unlikely perpetrator?

For more of my books, please see my Amazon author page.

2. When did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I’ve loved books for as along as I can remember. When I was about five, my mom would take me to the library on a weekly basis to load up on books. I think in the back of my mind I’ve wanted to be a writer ever since I could read. Life took over, but writing remained on my mind.

3. What was your first lengthy piece of fiction (say, >1000 words)? What was it about? When did you write it? Do you still have it?

I wrote a short story years ago (not going to tell you how long) called “Escape” that was a cross between horror and suspense. I thought this piece was long gone, but I found a long hand copy in one of my boxes a few months ago. It made me laugh, but I appreciated the thought and effort for the time I wrote it.

4. When was your first indication, "I can do this (write)"?

I had written articles for magazines and several screenplays, but I really didn’t “feel” that I could write a novel until I finished my first one called Compulsion in 2008. It felt great and it gave me the confidence and boost to move forward and keep writing. I’m so glad that I did!


5. If you could meet one of your characters in real life, which would it be?

Ah, that’s a good question and I’m sure anyone who has read my books won’t be too surprised at my answer. I would love to meet in the flesh my heroine Emily Stone. She hunts down serial killers and child pedophiles anonymously and then emails the police the evidence. She’s definitely tougher and smarter than I am, but I would love to have a lunch with her.

6. It's a dark and stormy night...you're alone in the house...there's a knock at the door...you open it, look out, and proceed to scream like a little girl. What's on the doorstep?

I knew that it was only a matter of time. My biggest fear had finally caught up with me. I stared, eye to eye, at the living, breathing image of my sixteen-year-old self. She had come back to haunt me, perhaps even taunt me. Worse, she had come back to tell me about some of the mistakes I had made. My mind reeled in a dizzying array of everything I had done in my life…
___________________________________________

Thanks so much for sharing with us today, Jennifer. For more of Jennifer's work, check out her blog, website, Twitter account, and Facebook page.

Stop back in on Monday when my guest will be Annette Lyon! See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment