Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Same Six Questions - Chris Blewitt

Welcome to another edition of The Same Six Questions. Today, I'm happy to have along Chris Blewitt, a fellow New Jerseyan! Welcome Chris!

Thanks Andy! I live in South Jersey with my wife and 3 kids. I grew up just south of Philadelphia, went to school at the University of Dayton (Go Flyers!), and graduated with a degree in Criminal Justice. Which proves that your career path is not determined by your degree. I've spent 16 years in sales, first selling golf clubs right out of college. I've always enjoyed golf and my biggest regret is quitting the high school golf team to play ice hockey. Who knows? I had my handicap down to a 5 before kids, then golf got put on the back burner. So instead of golfing, I wrote a fictional novel about golf.

Now it's time for The Same Six Questions

1. Have you published a book yet?

I published Deep Rough in October of 2010 through Createspace and Kindle Direct Publishing. Finishing DR 5 years ago, I thought agents would be fighting over my manuscript. Not so much. I received over 100 rejections, mostly form letters, and a handful of "I love the story but there is no market for sports fiction." So, after a few lengthy discussions with other authors, I self-pubbed and couldn't be happier. I'm not getting rich but to know my hard work is in the hands of readers is rewarding enough. DR can be found on Amazon in paperback and for Kindle as well as on Barnes & Noble's Nook.


2. When did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I knew I wanted to be a LAWYER after reading The Firm. Since that didn't work out, I figured I could try my hand at writing. I was overtaken by this book. I think I read it in 2-3 days. I was not a big reader at the time, so this was new to me, the overwhelming feeling of suspense and fear by placing yourself IN the book. That's when I knew that I would love to write something like this that captivates the readers imagination.

3. What was your first lengthy piece of fiction (say, >1000 words)? What was it about? When did you write it? Do you still have it?

My first piece of fiction was actually my first novel (unpublished), entitled The Three-Sided Square. I finished it about a year after college and gave it to an author I knew who said it was not very good and that I should write "what you know." I still have it somewhere and I may whip it out and polish it up now that self-publishing is a reality.

4. When was your first indication, "I can do this (write)"?

It had to be after I joined a writer's group at the local Y. I was surrounded by women and felt totally out of place. We would do exercises and share them with the group. I would read mine and receive critiques from each member of the group. After hearing their stories, I thought mine was so much better! I loved writing random things down. Our instructor would say, "one-armed man on a bus" and you would just write a few paragraphs and let the imagination flow. It was great.


5. If you could meet one of your characters in real life, which would it be?

It would have to be Red Maitland. He is a conniving old man that is a member of Augusta National. He is dark, soulless and carries a 30-year grudge. He is not your typical country-club member and it would be intereting to play a quick round of golf with him.


6. It's a dark and stormy night...you're alone in the house...there's a knock at the door...you open it, look out, and proceed to scream like a little girl. What's on the doorstep?

Ed McMahon and the crew from the Publisher's Clearing House handing me a check for $10 million.

__________________________________

Thanks so much for sharing, Chris! For more of Chris' work and writing, be sure to check out his web site and give him a follow on Twitter!

That concludes another fascinating round of The Same Six Questions. Be sure to stop back on Monday, when my guest will be author Z.D. Robinson! See you then!

1 comment:

  1. Nice to meet you, Chris. Nice insider info you gave us!

    ReplyDelete