Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Same Six Questions - Jennifer Rainey

The hot-off-the-presses Thursday edition of The Same Six Questions features Jennifer Rainey! In her own words...

Jennifer Rainey was raised by wolves who later sold her to gypsies. She then joined the circus at the age of ten. There, she was the flower girl in the famed Bearded Bride of Beverly Hills show until the act was discontinued (it was discovered that the bearded lady was actually a man). From there, she wandered around the country selling novelty trucker hats with vaguely amusing sayings printed on front. Somehow, she made enough money to go to The Ohio State University for a major in English.


The Same Six Questions

1. Have you published a book yet?

Indeed I have! These Hellish Happenings was released in November of 2010, and it’s essentially an office comedy in Hell with vampires, demons, a little romance and the occasional broken copier thrown in for good measure. It’s got a dark sense
of humor and a lot of really quirky and interesting characters, so if you’re looking for something a little offbeat, this is definitely your book. You can get the Kindle and paperback editions at Amazon and the Nook edition at Barnes & Noble.

2. When did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I’ve always written in one way or another (I was, I’m ashamed to admit, a fanfiction writer when I was in middle school and high school. Don’t judge me!). But it wasn’t until I had AP English my 12th grade year that I really started to care about writing. I had an incredible teacher who really made me look at the mechanics of writing and storytelling, and I can’t thank her enough for that. I probably wouldn’t be doing this if not for her.

3. What was your first lengthy piece of fiction (say, >1000 words)?

It was a novella about paranormal investigators and the twisted love story between one of the investigators and a ghost. It was a dark little romantic comedy. I still have it somewhere, I’m sure, I just have no idea where!


4. When was your first indication, "I can do this (write)"?

I won a state-wide writing contest when I was about 18 years old with a short story about an animator named Michael Marvin Meloy who loses his job when the traditional animation wing of his studio shuts down. It was around that point that I thought, “Hey, I’m not too bad at this.”


5. If you could meet one of your characters in real life, which would it be?

I’d probably choose Jack, the vampire protagonist of These Hellish Happenings. We’re both music snobs, and I’d love to pick his brain a little bit. He’s lived for over six hundred years, so I imagine he’d have tons of stories to tell. His demonic partner-in-crime, Alex, would be fun to talk politics with, but I have to go with Jack.


6. It's a dark and stormy night...you're alone in the house...there's a knock at the door...you open it, look out, and proceed to scream like a little girl. What's on the doorstep?

Pee Wee Herman.

_________________________________________

Heehee! Thanks for sharing with us today, Jennifer. For more of Jennifer's writing and such, check out her Website, blog, and Twitter and Facebook pages.

Monday's edition of The Same Six Questions will feature histori fiction author Richard Sutton. See you then!

1 comment:

  1. Pee Wee is pretty scary! Hmm, maybe someone should cast him for a horror movie.

    ReplyDelete