Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Same Six Questions - Monica La Porta

Welcome back to The Same Six Questions! Today's guest is writer and aspiring author, Monica La Porta.

Hi, Andy! My name is Monica La Porta. I was born and raised in Italy and landed in the Seattle suburban area eleven years ago, where I found the perfect weather for writing. I am a writer, a painter, and a sculptor.
I am also a mother of three, two bipeds and a beagle. I clearly have a penchant for professions that don’t pay a lot. But, the moral rewards are priceless. So I say every morning when I wake up...


The Same Six Questions


1. Have you published a book yet?

Not yet. I intend to rectify this unfortunate situation as soon as possible.

I am writing Pax at War, the third and final installation of the Ginecean series, and I am waiting for my editor and foolproof editor to finish working on Pax in the Land of Women, and The Priest books two and one, respectively.

The inspiration behind the Ginecean series comes from a "what if" question. What if women were in charge of the world, and men were enslaved? What if love between a woman and a man was considered a perversion, a social taboo? What if everything your society has taught you is a bunch of lies? My hopes, dreams, and ambitions are quite simple. I want people to read my stories.

2. When did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I have been writing since I was six, and I always thought that one day I would write a book. Then, three years ago, I said, “Why not today?” Seven novels later, I believe it’s time to start publishing some of my
tales.

3. What was your first lengthy piece of fiction (say, >1000 words)? What was it about? When did you write it? Do you still have it?

I believe my first attempt at writing a story was a script for a saga a` la Japanese cartoon style, when I was ten. It was a heartbreaking YA coming of age soap opera. It only makes sense if you grew up in Italy and watched tons of Japanese cartoons in your youth. I remember I also sketched a few of the more relevant scenes. Unfortunately, my mother didn’t think it was worth saving for future generations.

4. When was your first indication, "I can do this (write)"?

When I finished writing my first novel, Earth and Sun, circa 90,000 words, and I liked what I read.

5. If you could meet one of your characters in real life, which would it be?

I would love to meet Elios, the main character from Earth and Sun. He is an alien whose existence is devoted to judge the morality of a civilization, and he can’t have any physical contact with the race he is studying. Elios was my first, literary speaking, and he has a special place in my heart.

6. It's a dark and stormy night...you're alone in the house...there's a knock at the door...you open it, look out, and proceed to scream like a little girl. What's on the doorstep?

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Reality has been erased, and a big, black, silent, void is all that is left.

_________________________________

Thanks so much for sharing, Monica, and good luck with your books! For a taste of Monica's writing, be sure to check out her blog that features some flash fiction.

On Monday, my guest will be Cheri Schmidt, so swing back to meet her!

No comments:

Post a Comment