Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Same Six Questions - Brent Nichols

Hi there! Today's edition of The Same Six Questions features author Brent Nichols.

Brent is a professional writer and trainer based in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

The Same Six Questions

1. Have you published a book yet?

Bert the Barbarian is currently live at Amazon and Smashwords. It's a science-fiction adventure story with a sword-and-sorcery feel, about a man taken to another planet where he has to escape from slavery, find his friend Janice, rescue her, and try to get back to Earth. I've also got Lord of Fire, which is a fun sword-and-sorcery book, and Cinderella's Blues, which is a re-telling of the Cinderella story in which Cinderella kicks more butt than the original.

2. When did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I was a voracious reader when I was a little wee lad. These novelists who'd been dead for decades before I was even born were having this huge impact on my life. I knew I wanted to be like them, to wield that same amazing power. I've always wanted to be a writer.

3. What was your first lengthy piece of fiction (say, >1000 words)? What was it about? When did you write it? Do you still have it?

I wrote some epic poetry and some short stories in High School. I don't have any of it these days. I also wrote a novel when I was 18. That one I still have, though it was very much a 'learner' book, and I have no plans to publish it.

4. When was your first indication, "I can do this (write)"?

I remember a High School English class where we had to read our short stories aloud to the class. I remember the whole room going silent when I got to the suspenseful parts, and everyone laughing right on cue when I got to the parts that were supposed to be funny.

5. If you could meet one of your characters in real life, which would it be?

There is a minor character named Kali in Bert the Barbarian. She's very lively and likeable. She tended to take over every scene she was in, and her role kept getting bigger and bigger. I'd love to hang out with her.

6. It's a dark and stormy night...you're alone in the house...there's a knock at the door...you open it, look out, and proceed to scream like a little girl. What's on the doorstep?

I have this one ex-girlfriend who scares me green...

____________________________________

Thanks for stopping by Brent! For more information on Brent and his writing, check out his blog.



No comments:

Post a Comment