Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Same Six Questions - Alyssa Rose Ivy

Today, please welcome YA fantasy author Alyssa Rose Ivy to The Same Six Questions! Hi Alyssa!

Hi Andy! Although originally from the New York area, I fell in love the South while at college in New Orleans and now live in North Carolina with my husband and young daughter. My background is in law and library science and now that I am finally done with my years as a perpetual student, I’m using whatever free time I have to write.

The Same Six Questions


1. Have you published a book yet?

I published my first Novel, Beckoning Light (the Afterglow Trilogy) in July, and book two, Perilous Light, will be out this spring. It’s a YA fantasy novel told from the dual perspective of a brother and sister, available through Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

Description:

As Charlotte steps through the gate, she has a strong feeling that nothing will ever be the same again.

Moving back to South Carolina after three years away, Charlotte knows she’s going to have to face people from her past and adjust to a new high school, but she’s completely unprepared for what else waits for her in Charleston.

Drawn through an old garden gate, Charlotte discovers a hidden world where she meets Calvin, a boy to whom she is inexplicably attracted. As Charlotte is pulled deeper into this hidden world, it’s up to her older brother Kevin to rescue her. No matter how hard Kevin tries, the rescue depends upon Charlotte fighting her intense feelings for Calvin while mastering a set of abilities that she has only just discovered she possesses.


2. When did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I’ve been writing for as long as I can remember. Growing up I was always writing something whether it was a short story, poetry, a play or one of several attempts at writing a novel. The only real break I took from writing creatively was during law school, and I promised myself that as soon as I had the time I would get my creativity back.


3. What was your first lengthy piece of fiction (say,>1000 words)? What was it about? When did you write it? Do you still have it?

I wrote a two-act play in seventh grade about a group of girlfriends that became rock stars while in middle school. I no longer have it, but I wish I did because I’m sure it would be a good laugh.


4. When was your first indication, "I can do this (write)"?

I had some very supportive creative writing teachers over the years that gave me the confidence to believe I could really write, but it wasn’t until I sat down and finally finished a novel that it felt real.


5. If you could meet one of your characters in real life, which would it be?

I would want to meet Charlotte, the female protagonist in Beckoning Light. She's strong and determined and if she had the time to baby-sit, she would be a great role model for my daughter.


6. It's a dark and stormy night...you're alone in the house...there's a knock at the door...you open it, look out, and proceed to scream like a little girl. What's on the doorstep?

If I’m screaming, chances are it’s the police looking to arrest me for a crime I didn’t commit. I have this fear of being wrongfully accused of a crime (likely developed from reading too many crime and mystery novels) and which was only made worse by law school.

_____________________________________________

So nice of you to stop by and share, Alyssa! Thanks! For more of Alyssa's work, check out her website and Facebook page.

Stop back in on Monday, when my guest will be Mike Meyer. Yeah baby! Oh, wait...wrong Mike. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment